Sunday, January 2, 2011

Biot Nymph

One of my favorite nymph patterns that I use in the streams that I fish is the Biot nymph. I can whip out one of these in about three minutes and tie them in sizes 14 to 18, but my most productive one has been the size 18 black with a gold tungsten bead.

HOOK: Kamasan B175
BODY: Goose or Turkey biots
TAIL: CDL
THORAX: UV Ice dubbing
BEAD: Tungsten


TYING STEPS


STEP1: Slide your bead onto the hook and start your thread.


STEP 2: Tie in your CDL tail

STEP 3: Tie in your biot with the notch at the end of the biot facing down. Also add a dash of super glue over the tie in area to make the fly more durable.


STEP 4: Wrap the biot forward so that the edges of the biot form a rib. If you had tied in the biot with the notch facing up the body would be smooth.


STEP 5: Spin a thin noodle of UV Ice Dub around your thread.


STEP 6: Form your Thorax and whip finish.

Finished Fly



9 comments:

  1. Great looking flies.
    Those orange beads would have worked well on a stream I fished yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice nymphs...I am finding a new need for these types of flies lately...I have become a winter steelhead angler to pass the time before mt warm waters open up again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photos..what camera are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments guys.

    Pat I have notices on your blog that the warm water has turned decidedly cold. :-)

    Penbayman I use a Fujifilm Finepix HS10 for my fly tying and "on land" photos and a Olympus U790SW for my underwater and on stream photos. Both are brilliant little cameras.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those would be dynamite for carp. I'll be tying some before the ice melts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice flies Morne. Cooler today, so going to tie a few as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Много ми хареса !!

    ReplyDelete