Monday, August 30, 2010

BEADHEAD ANT

BEADHEAD ANT

This is a great little sunken ant pattern that works a treat in out local streams.  I first saw this pattern on the Flytalk Forum when Grant Kieser posted a step by step for it. Since then it has been a favorite in my box.

Here is the step by step as tied by Grant.

HOOK:  #16 Scud
THREAD:  Black 12/0
WEIGHT: 0.010 lead wire
ABDOMEN: Black dubbing
SHELLBACK: Scudback
HEAD: Orange pearlescent glass bead
LEGS AND ANTENNAE – Black crystal flash




3 comments:

  1. Really a great looking pattern! I tie something similar that fishes quite well as a drowned ant and pulls hits from some very reluctant fish. Almost the same bug, but with a red bead head and hot orange abdomen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good to me. Like the contrasting bead head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys.Our stream season opens tomorrow and though the waters are still to high this pattern is always in my fly box.

    ReplyDelete