Sunday, October 24, 2010

A few hours at Blue Gum Grove

I don't get to fish as often as I like to these days with work commitments and family matters to take care of. I have only been on my favorite streams twice this season compared to going every weekend last year. I did manage to sneak out for a few hours this morning and headed down to Blue Gum Grove as it is only a few minutes from my house.

Our summer has arrived and I was a bit worried that the warm water would have affected the fish already, but I was quite surprised to land a few fish. All of them were in excellent condition and was still fighting strong despite the warmer water.

The first hour was a bit slow with one Brown and one rainbow coming out to a olive woolly bugger. Shortly after I started to see some head and tail rises and tied on a tiny flashback nymph and got another few good fish. I also missed a few and got smashed up on my 6x tippet a few times.

All in all it really was a fun morning out.






These brown were about 20cm long when we stocked them about 5 months back. I saw this guy leaping clear out the water  after a dragon fly, and he smashed my woolly bugger when I put it in front of him.











A saw this rainbow cruising and placed a size 18 flashback nymph in front of him. As soon as I gave the nymph a twitch he turned and took the nymph as if it was the real thing.





Getting that bend in your rod is what its all about.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice post. Those are some beautiful trout. Thanks for sharing.

    The Average Joe Fisherman
    http://averagejoefisherman.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete