Saturday, October 9, 2010

Saterday fishing

I spend some alone time on a local stream this morning.I normally fish with my fishing buddy Roland, but I also quite enjoy spending some time on my own. It means i can fish the way I want to, whether it is fast or slow and dont have to feel guilty when I hog the best water.

Some great looking water


I started fishing at about 7:30am and in the first two hours the going was very slow.I started with a RAB, but soon changed to a CDC and Elk hair caddis with a dropper hanging below the dry. After about two hours of fishing I had only landed two fish and while having a sandwich I was scratching through my flybox and found mt go to pattern from last season. I have completely forgotten about them and this was a very sad looking and well used specimen. I never the less tied it on and kept the dropper below it.

A bit worse for wear, but this little fly saved the day.


On my first cast I landed a nice rainbow and soon after got another one in the same run. From there on I landed about another 20 fish on this little fly until I lost it when a mean little rainbow charged of downstream and broke my 6x tippet.

One rainbow made a spectacular leap on the take and then proceeded to charge straight at me. On the next jump it flew straight into my chest.

When I eventually lost the fly, I tied on a regular Elk hair Caddis again, but had no further luck. I though it might have been the dark colour of the fly that made it so successful, but I could not raise anything on any black flies either.

I also made a spectacular stumble and have a very bruised and swollen leg to show for it. I could not feel it while wading in the cold mountain water but it was a rather painful drive home.

All in all it was a very stunning morning fishing and to boost all the fish were landed on a dry fly.





4 comments:

  1. The photo of the little stretch of water would make fly fisherman's mouth water. Beautiful country!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is truly some wonderful water.

    I love flies like that, so much to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful little stream you have there....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. We are lucky to have some stunning water not to far away.

    ReplyDelete